It’s cold and flu season…how is your family holding up? I know we have had our share of colds in my house! We have gone through our fair share of Scotties Tissues in the past couple of months.
The common cold is accurately named because it is indeed the most frequent infection we encounter.
Mount Auburn Hospital, a top Harvard teaching hospital and Scotties Facial Tissues have some great tips for cold remedies to help alleviate your symptoms next time you feel yourself getting sick.
The common cold as explained by Stephen H. Zinner, M.D., Director of Medicine for Mount Auburn Hospital in Cambridge, MA is caused by a number of different viruses, and as such is not treatable with antibiotics (which treat infections caused by bacteria). There is no definitive or specific treatment or cure for the common cold, which is an example of a “self-limited” infection, meaning that patients recover when the infection has run its natural course.
Although many treatments are available, all provide relief of symptoms but they do not speed the eradication of the infecting virus.
According to Zinner, Symptom relief can be obtained by these TOP 5 measures including:
- Humidification – add a humidifier to your home or steam a pot of water in the kitchen
- Steam vapor – take a hot shower and breath in the steam
- Oral decongestants
- Nasal saline irrigation and select nasal sprays
- Aspirin or acetaminophen may be useful for the body aches that may accompany the first 24 -48 hours of a cold
Scotties adds their own TOP 5 measures including:
- Sleep – make sure to give your body the rest it requires to naturally rid the body of a cold
- Exercise can be useful to thin out mucus and increase the activity of white blood cells – if the person feels well enough to work out
- Warm soup or hot tea can soothe a sore throat
- Vitamin C & Zinc – stock up on foods high in these immune boosting properties
- A soft tissue like that from Scotties can help alleviate nasal blockage and congestion
The soft tissue is critical in my book. You don’t want to feel bad and have a raw nose at the same time. Being sick is not my idea of a good time, but I definitely want to do what I can to make the impact as minimal as possible. Having Scotties Tissues available is a great start.
So, to help you and your family to try to stay healthy this Cold and Flu Season I have a giveaway compliments of the folks at Scotties! One winner gets a Scotties care pack of tissues with a $25 gift card to Target!
This giveaway open to US residents only.
Entry is simple…you just need to complete the tasks below! Just make sure that you leave one entry for each one — up to a total of 2 comments. As a reminder, comments left on Facebook, Twitter or other posts will not be included. I will choose the winner at Random on 3/18 at 11 pm.
- Leave a comment with one of your favorite ways to treat the common cold
- Like I Heart Saving Money Facebook.
Disclosure: I was provided with the product listed above to assist in my review of the product. All comments and opinions are my own. I Heart Saving Money is not responsible for the shipment of the prize.